In the wake of security concerns in Mumbai and Hyderabad, the government has assured full protection to Indian Premier League (IPL) cricket tournament beginning on March 12.
Highly-placed sources said the home ministry was in constant touch with the IPL organisers and assured them that adequate security personnel would be provided for the successful completion of the month-long extravaganza.
“We have told the organisers that full security will be provided to players and each venue,” a source said.
The assurance came in the wake of security concerns in Mumbai and Hyderabad.
The Shiv Sena has threatened to disrupt matches to be played in Mumbai in which Australian players will take part to protest the attacks on Indians in that country.
Due to the ongoing Telangana agitation in Andhra Pradesh, the IPL has already shifted the inaugural match from Hyderabad to Mumbai.
Mumbai will host eight IPL matches, including the inaugural one and the final while Hyderabad will host four matches.
Last year, the second edition of IPL had been shifted to South Africa when the government told the organisers that foolproof security would not be possible due to the general elections, which coincided with it.