Former Australian fast bowler Glenn McGrath has opted to adopt a wait and watch policy as far as travelling to India for next year’s Indian Premier League is concerned but said as of now he would play in the second edition of the Twenty20 event.
However, McGrath, who is contracted with Delhi Daredevils in the IPL, said he had given his nod to play in the April-slated tournament before last month’s Mumbai terror attacks that took almost 200 innocent lives.
“I have agreed to go back for this year (2009). But that was before everything happened over in India anyway, so I guess we will just play it by ear and see what happens closer to the time,” McGrath was quoted as saying by the Herald Sun.
“But as it stands I am going back for another season,” he added.
The Mumbai carnage has made internationals teams wary of travelling to India. England, trailing 0-5, abandoned their One-day series against India and headed home, only to return back for the two-Test series after they were assured of a full-proof security and Indian cricket board’s decision to shift the venue of both the matches from Mumbai and Ahmedabad to Chennai and Mohali respectively.
Unwilling to take any risks following the terror strikes, the lanky pacer, who lost his wife due to cancer, will take advice from Cricket Australia about the security situation in India before boarding the plane.
“I love getting down and watching James playing on Saturday morning at Woollooware Oval, rolling the arm over or hitting a few to the boundary,” he said.