Indian Premier League commissioner Lalit Modi on Friday rubbished reports that the cach-rich Twenty20 extravaganza will move out of the country.
“Reports of moving venues out of India are rubbish,” said Modi. “IPL is a domestic tournament and will stay so,” he added.
The IPL commissioner will hold a meeting at the BCCI headquarters later in the day, after six of the eight host states voiced concerns that they could not guarantee security during the matches.
On Thursday, the IPL organisers had sent a fresh schedule to the home ministry in the wake of security concerns about the Lok Sabha elections and the T20 tournament being held simultaneously.
The revised schedule carries the same inaugural (April 10) and closing dates (May 24). Dates of five games have, however, been changed, to ensure that host cities are not allotted matches two days before and after polling days.
The home ministry had earlier said it would decide on the fate of the tournament only after the states responded on whether they would be able to conduct the matches without asking for central forces.
The terror attack on the Sri Lankan team on Tuesday in Lahore has also compounded the problems for the IPL organisers, who now expect pullouts by many of the foreign players.
Federation of International Cricketers Association chief executive Tim May has already sought a wider role in assessing the security for players during the IPL.