Australian vice-captain Michael Clarke pulled out from the Season 2 of the million dollar Twenty20 tournament – Indian Premier League (IPL).
Clarke said on Thursday (February 5) that his decision to skip the lucrative Twenty20 tournament was made because Australia has such a busy international schedule coming up.
“I won’t be going to the IPL,” Clarke said. The most important thing for me is we’ve only got a couple of weeks off, we’ve got a very busy schedule.
“With me, with my body and time with my family, I want time off this year.”
But Clarke said his decision did not mean that he could not understand why so many other players did want to play in the Indian competition.
“It’s a wonderful thing for cricket, it’s definitely improved Twenty20 cricket, it’s played a part in improving One-day cricket,” he said.
“The lead up to the Twenty20 World Championships is the IPL so it’s good preparation so it does not surprise me that a lot of players are going.”
Clarke was valued at $1 million and was set to be among the top three purchases in the auction to be held on Friday (February 6) in Goa. Chennai Super Kings, last year’s finalists, were expected to lead the bidding for Clarke.