Pakistan pacer Mohammad Asif is exploring options to challenge the one-year ban imposed by the Indian Premier League for failing a dope test while at the same time mulling an appeal to change the date of commencement of the ban.
The IPL tribunal on Wednesday handed the pacer a one-year ban, starting September 22, 2008, for failing a dope test during the IPL last year.
That makes him eligible to take part at any level of the game from September 22 this year but Asif is keen to get back to action before that.
“I think the ban should start from the day the test result was known or when the proceedings of the tribunal began or when the Pakistan Cricket Board suspended me from playing any cricket in late July,” said Asif, who played for the Delhi Daredevils team in the IPL.
“I think I should be given the chance to be eligible to resume playing cricket earlier than September if you consider when my hearing began or when the board suspended me,” Asif said.
A decision about the appeal would be taken after the sports medicine and anti-doping expert Dr Michael Graham, who had assisted him in the case, arrives in Lahore in two days’ time to advise him, Asif insisted.