The terror attack on Sri Lanka cricket team in Lahore has forced England all-rounder Paul Collingwood to give second thoughts on his participation in the Indian Premier League and said he would adopt a wait and watch policy before making a final decision.
Seven Sri Lankan cricketers and an assistant coach were injured, while eight people, including six securitymen died, after 12 masked gunmen attacked the team bus while they were on their way to Gaddafi Stadium for the third day’s play in the second Test.
Collingwood, one of the seven English cricketers, including star players Kevin Pietersen and Andrew Flintoff, have been signed by different franchises to play in the second edition of the IPL starting April 10.
“When something as tragic as this happens, thoughts do cross your mind and you question things a bit. We’ve all been in similar situations to the Sri Lanka team travelling to and from grounds like that.
“I’d be lying if I said that this hasn’t raised concerns in my mind, but I’m not about to make any decision. The right thing to do is wait and see how things go from here,” Collingwood said.
The 32-year-old right-hander, who had been signed up by the Delhi Daredevils team, however, refused to draw a similarity between the security situations in India and trouble-torn Pakistan.
“I’ve always felt safe in India and it’s important to recognise that it’s a different country to Pakistan,” Collingwood was quoted as saying in the ‘Daily Mail’.