After Rajasthan Royals captain Shane Warne voiced concern about the safety of players in the wake of terror threats, IPL chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi said that the former Australian great has been misquoted by media.
“I had a word with Warne and he has been misquoted by media on security issue”, tweets Modi.
“I had a word with Adam Gilchrist and Brett Lee also and they are looking forward to being here. They cannot wait for tournament to start”, he adds.
The threats of the past 24 hours have certainly got me thinking twice and is of deep concern to athletes across a number of sports,” Warne was quoted as saying by Daily Telegraph.
“If the threats are proven to be real, then organisers of the IPL may look at moving the tournament.
“We moved it last year at short notice and it can be done and there is no way organisers will risk the safety of players and officials.”
“I love the country and I’m committed to the Royals but obviously if I’m given the advice (that) it’s unsafe that will prompt a serious rethink,” Warne said.
Terror outfits Huji and Al-Qaida have warned of attacks against foreign teams during the hockey World Cup, Indian Premier League and the Commonwealth Games to be held in New Delhi from October 3-14.
Modi also added that the NBA spat with IPL as reported was not between IPL and NBA. But it was between our rights holder Set Max and NBA, our rights are still with Set Max.
We will make all the efforts to resolve impasse. News channels are important for all of us. Similarly our rights owner Set Max is most important too.